The best way to prevent infection is to wash your hands often and well. This also includes anyone who comes to visit you or is caring for you at home, and all the staff looking after you.
Use soap, liquid hand rub or hand wipes to keep your hands clean.
Always clean your hands and ask others to clean their hands:
- Before and after caring for you
- Before and after eating, touching food
- After using the bathroom
- After coughing, sneezing or blowing your nose Other important ways to help prevent infection include:
- Asking staff if they have cleaned their hands – this is especially important before they touch your wound or intravenous drip. Our staff will not be offended if you ask them this
- Asking your family, friends or carers not to visit you if they are unwell
- Always cleaning your hands before attending to your wound